Sunday, February 21, 2010

Big Eye Kids 60's & 70's Kitsch Art

Lately I have rediscovered my love of op shopping and garage sales. I live in a small town that has a great op shop which I have been visiting frequently of late, and I seem to be having a great run of super cheap finds. I mostly look for good quality children's books and toys. Books are always priced from 25 cents to no more than $1 and I have found some great ones which I may post about later.
If I am able to get out and about - preferably not with my kids! - early on a saturday morning I will also head to any garage sales too, and recently I scored an awesome set of four framed prints by artist D.Golding who is part of the big eyed kids kitsch art movement of the 60s and 70s. This type of 'art' is very collectable and I was pretty pleased with myself to pick up the four for $10.
Here they are now hanging in my daughter's room....(I know, hanging crooked!).





I'm no expert on the whole movement but since scoring my print set I have done a little reading up. I was already familiar with Margaret Keane who is regarded as the pioneer of the big eyed kid painting and who still paints and exhibits today. Record label (and self proclaimed anti mogul) Lone Gone John of Sympathy For The Record Industry is a big collector (of low brow art in general) and advocate of Keane's work, and Melbourne's own ex Tote and Augogo chief Bruce Milne owns a portrait of himself by Keane. Here is a link to the 'Keane Eyes Gallery Of San Francisco' who sell and represent Margaret Keane and have a large amount of her current work online - not cheap!

Keane Eyes Gallery

For further reading on a whole heap of other artists in this genre, check out this link here.




I particularly love the work of Gallarda!


To read more about Long Gone John and Margaret Keane head here



1 comment: